Sunday, February 1, 2009

How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food How to Cook Everything: Simple Recipes for Great Food by Mark Bittman


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
I went to the used book store the other day with some cast-off hard-backs to trade in. I shoved several lounging cats aside, and found all 944 pages of this tome. The shiny "Julia Child Cookbook Award" and "James Beard Foundation Cookbook Award Winner" stickers intrigued me. So did the Washington Post quote, "Think of it as a more hip Joy of Cooking"

Them's fightin' words. I'm a Joy devotee. But flipping through, I was intrigued. I like the illustrations, the larger print, the informative lists and inset boxes.... So I traded in my castoffs (sorry Yiddish Policeman's Union) and brought it home.

So far, I feel a little weird about it. Like I've brought home somebody else's grandma to pretend to be my grandma. It's nice and all, maybe there's some stuff that's even better about this grandma than about my own, like maybe her recipe for Crisp-Cooked Sunchokes or Garam Masala, but... Joy is my home.

I've only tried about 3 recipes from this book so far. And I have to admit, I checked the Joy equivalent for each one. And where they differed... I sided with Joy. It's a trust thing! Joy has never let me down!

I'll keep trying this one out, but I suspect that Joy will always get the final word.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

  1. Joy is the most awesomest cookbook evah! I love cooking with it. It makes me almost...joyful.

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?