Saturday, February 14, 2009

Joy's Chicken Stock

Joy’s Chicken Stock
I came down with a cold this week and kept obsessing about chicken soup. I finally made this and filled my fridge with quart jars of the lovely golden stuff.
4-5 ½ lbs of chiekcn parts or one whole bird.
Cold water to cover
1 unpeeled onion coarsely chopped
1 carrot
1 celery rib
8 peppercorns
1 bouquet garni (I cheated and just used a big handful of the hard herbs from my potted garden and a couple of bay leaves)
(I added 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar for color)

Put the chicken in a stock pot and cover in cold water. Bring slowly to a boil, reduce the heat at once, and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Skim often. Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer partly covered for 3-4 hours, skimming often and adding water if needed. Strain and cool uncovered, then refrigerate covered. Remove the fat when ready to use.
Rating: A

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?