Monday, March 2, 2009

Joy's Fish Fumet

Joy’s Fish Fumet with salmon Belly

I bought two huge heaps of salmon belly—it looked so delicious and fatty and frugal at the store. At home though, it looked like what it was: a mish mash mix of scales flaking off, snaky long pieces of skin, wedges of pearly blubber, and fins.

I betray myself for what I am: not a fishwife. I like fish, but I’m a novice, and my attempts at tugging and slicing the gorgeous deep-orange sushi-grade salmon belly off of the offal? Not successful. Stock to the rescue! Three cheers for any food that lets you throw alarming garbage in, and strain gorgeous nourishment out.

2 tbsp butter

2 lbs fish heads and bones

1 sliced unpeeled onion

1 large leek

1-2 garlic cloves

1 c. white wine

1 tsp lemon juice

Cold water to cover

Bouquet garni

Melt the butter in a stockpot, and cook the vegetables about 5 minutes on medium-low. Add the fish and cook until they begin to turn opaque, 5 more minutes. Don’t let anything brown. Add the liquid and bouquet garni and bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, skimming often for 20-30 minutes. Strain and cool uncovered, then refridgerate covered.

Rating: A+. Ah... this is why I heart Joy. A warning though-- this made my house reeky for three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?