Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Joy's Vanilla Ice Cream


For Christmas I got my husband two vials of vanilla beans and we've been carefully hoarding them until we can find some recipes worthy of the black beauties. This seemed to be a good one to start on...

Joy's Vanilla Ice Cream
1 c. heavy cream
3/4 c. sugar
pinch salt
1 vanilla bean
2 c. heavy cream
1 c. whole milk


Combine one cup of cream, the sugar and the salt in a saucepan. Split and scrape the vanilla bean in, and add the open bean. Bring to a simmer and dissolve the sugar.
Pour into a bowl and add the remaining cream and milk.
Refridgerate overnight, remove the bean, and freeze in a ice cream maker.

Rating: A. Totally easy and very yummy.

2 comments:

  1. Few things in life bring me as much pleasure as homemade vanilla ice cream.

    When I was little, I remember my dad saying that vanilla ice cream was his favorite. So weird and boring, I thought. But I now...how things have changed.

    Also, very partial to cinnamon ice cream, made with vanilla bean and eggs (and cinnamon, of course). I'll have to dig up the recipe....

    ReplyDelete

What do YOU think?